E Unus Pluribum
Joel Garreau's book The
Nine Nations of North America divides the continent into
nine different nations. Might this division accurately predict
future wars which transform the New World's political makeup in
ways unseen since the nineteenth century? Read the imaginary
scenario below and judge for yourself.
The Nine Nations at War
Early in the twenty-first century, America was a
nation deeply divided politically. Its presidential adminstration
was popular among one segment of the population, but deeply
resented by another. Millions of recent arrivals to the country,
many illegal and undocumented, strained its cultural integrity.
Worst of all, international terrorist organizations had declared
war, and plotted mass casualty attacks on civilians. When they
dealt a catastrophic blow to the nation's capital and chief
financial city, the beginning of the end arrived.
- Year 0. Small nuclear bombs detonate
simultaneously in New York and Washington, D.C. The
Federal Government is severely disrupted.
- State officials in Arizona and New Mexico who have been
plotting with the Aztlan movement sieze their
governments' reins and announce their intention to
secede and become a part of "Greater Mexico."
- The Federal Government, now operating out of Cheyenne
Mountain, declares the secession illegal. When it becomes
apparent that Mexico intends to intervene with troops,
the U.S. Army begins amassing in western bases.
- U.S. military assets overseas begin returning to the
homeland, and America's military position abroad is
- With the Federal Government's power obviously in
question, secessionist movements stir in the Northwest
- War with Mexico and Aztlan insurrectionists begins over
fate of southwestern territory. Riots in Los Angeles.
- Year 1. Martial law repeatedly imposed
in major U.S. cities as Aztlan War sparks race riots and
- Hispanics begin fleeing to the southwest, whites to the
north, and blacks to the southeast (away from riot-torn
- U.S. loses ground in Southwestern War. News of fall of
San Antonio sparks uprising by hispanic youth in Chicago.
- Primarily white and black areas of Los Angeles declare
themselves independent cities and construct
- Southeastern states secede, proclaiming "the evident
end of Lincoln's empire" and the birth of "a
- Year 2. Southern California, Arizona,
New Mexico and Southwest Texas are all solidly under
- California, Oregon and Washington secede to form the new
nation of Free America. They immediately sign a truce
- On news of this, U.S. sends forces to seize strategic
federal lands in the three states.
- Quebec declares its independence, which prompts the
maritime provinces to petition to join the United States.
- Year 3. The last domino to fall, the
Northeastern states secede, eventually joining with the
maritime provinces to form New Britain.
Hopefully this will never happen. People have regional and
cultural loyalties but still recognize the value of staying
united and avoiding messy conflict. What really turns them at
each others' throats is political differences, as we all saw in the 2000 election.
This page copyright Steve Barrera 2001-2014